Erected in 1871, this structure of hand-cut native limestone is perhaps the oldest still standing in Liberty Hill. It was built by S.P. Stubblefield (1824-1902), a native of Alabama and veteran of the Mexican War (1846-48), and owned by his family until 1907. The lower floor has housed various stores and businesses, while the upper floor was often used as living quarters. In 1973 the building was bought and restored by sculptor Mel Fowler. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1976
The building is currently in restoration, a project the City felt necessary to undertake. The space, which includes the building and a garden in the back, will be used for art & culture events, art lessons, an art gallery and space for display of museum worthy pieces. The renovations will continue through early 2019, with the Grand Opening to be held in conjunction with the Wonder & Whimsy Art Festival May 18.